Polo Leteka knows what makes a fundable business. An entrepreneur first and foremost, she has travelled the business journey and now funds and invests in early-stage and startup businesses in South Africa. Leteka is one of the founders behind South Africa’s first black women-owned investment firm, Identity Partners and the executive director and co-founder of IDF Capital, a South African based entrepreneurial financier and advisory firm that has invested in over 200 businesses since it was founded 12 years ago. She’s the first black woman to sit as a judge on South Africa’s iteration of the UK hit investment-pitching show Dragon’s Den. A highly accomplished and experienced entrepreneur and private equity investor, Leteka has and continues to push for women-owned SMEs to be at the forefront of the funding subject in SA.
In this talk for ‘The Investors’ Inspire Session, she speaks to the Joburg Heavy Chef community about:
– How an investor’s journey is similar to that of entrepreneurs who are looking for funding, because they too have to seek capital in order to invest.
– Why not everyone is meant to be an entrepreneur.
– The importance of having a clear, sellable vision when seeking funding.
– What investors test for when considering what businesses to fund. Adaptability and the ability to innovate is a must.
– Why a teachable spirit and a willingness to learn will hold entrepreneurs in good steed.